Lucca's spot

Monday, December 5, 2011

A wander at the Desco

Yesterday, Sunday, as a good Lucca citizen I went to the Desco. Unquestionably enjoyable. I bought a lot of nice little treats that I enjoyed for dinner on the same evening… 

But this isn’t what I want to tell you about. There are two things I would like to talk about.


For the first time in my life (how shameful!! ) I went into the Real Collegio, going through the courtyard of San Frediano. It is a true marvel. I asked myself why it is always closed and if I was the only one who had never been there…today I’m going back, because it  seemed to me a magical place. Apart from the fact that I have a predilection for cloisters … but this one, abandoned and nearly crumbling down is a forgotten jewel. 



The second thing that I’d like to say deals with a completely different matter. 
When I got back home from the Desco I went on the Desco’s official website  Il Desco 2011
It is very fun and colorful. The links to various blogs is interesting. But one thing caught my attention straight away. There isn’t an English version of this website. So, is this event for Italians only?

We are in November, low season, so why is nothing done to promote among the foreign travelers? It seemed to me a bit of a contradiction due to the fact that Lucca is a city that lives mainly on a foreing tourism. The council, province and chamber of commerce etc. have been organizing for years a really nice event like this one and they’re not  promoting it in English?? It seems a great paradox to me. In fact amongst all my clients who were here in November nobody knew what and where the Desco was. I was surprised. 
On top of that it lasts four weeks and  I think it could attract many tourists to Italy and Tuscany during this low season. Those who travel in Italy during November and December are a "out-of-season traveler"  and surely can appreciate even more the elegance and sophistication of this event.  
Without considering that generally it takes place concomitance with another event of great relevance, the digital photo festival http://www.lupf.it/
I think that this local artistic and cultural union could bring to Lucca a lot more people…without necessarily arriving at the same type of ‘invasion’ of people that the Comics event brings…surely it doesn’t have a good start off if they don’t even advertising it in English…

Ok…I’ll advertise the Desco on my Blog and website…because when tourists, of any country, find themselves in these contests which are so ‘local’, they would surely love it... they will be happy and they will spend good words of Me and of Lucca!! 
Also If the Tourism Offices of Lucca would help me promoting The Desco with an english version of their website... they would make my life much easier and they would also make many property-owners of mine very happy. 

Irony aside, I must say that The Desco and The LuPF are really another reason to visit Lucca in the late fall. 
I really thing it's worth a visit. Even without these two events... Lucca is really beautiful in November.. as it reconciles with itself. I do also ... and everything takes place in a different atmosphere.
I mean that everything is different from Summer and September... when you have the crowds all around.. and yes it is beautiful, alive, happy, coloured.. but for those - like me and maria - who are working while the crowds is enjoying their holiday... it is very tiring. 

Lucca in November reconciles with itself. very few people all around, silence, quiteness... and I love it... it remind me when I was a child... 

…When I was a child Lucca was so different … nobody knew it!
Lucca was completely unknown. Not only all around the World.. even in Italy itself. Nobody knew where Lucca was. I remember when I went on holiday with my parents and met some other children I had to explain that Lucca was a small town in the north of Tuscany: “ Tuscany.. do you know it? The region above Rome… you might have heard about Florence?”  I know you hardly believe it, but that’s the truth!
Nowadays, when the high season has finished, after the comics festival… in November everything seems returned to the past. 


.. and to finish this post I I’d like to spare a few words for Emilio and his staff from Eco-Guide who -in my opinion- is doing amazing work. They will accompany you in your Trekking in our area helping you to discover such a beautiful land. You can find him at The Desco... and from them is also the lovely vegetable garden in the first courtyard.... Don't miss it!


I’d love to have my table set that way everyday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment